- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until soft. Add tomato paste, jalapenos, garlic salt and sugar. Cook, stirring for 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomatoes. Bring to the boil. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until thickened slightly. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper. Cool.
- Cut Mozzarella block in half crossways. Cut each half into 6 equal rectangular sticks.
- Whisk eggs and mustard in a shallow dish until combined. Place breadcrumbs and dried herbs in a separate shallow dish
- One at a time, dust cheese sticks in seasoned flour, shaking off excess. Dip into egg mixture, then into breadcrumb mixture, pressing to coat. Repeat, dipping sticks into egg mixture then in breadcrumb mixture. Place on a tray. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 6 hours, or overnight until firm.
- Place half the mozzarella sticks into air fryer basket. Cook on 200°C for 6 to 7 minutes, turning halfway through cooking, or until golden and crisp. Remove. Repeat with remaining mozzarella sticks.
- Serve mozzarella sticks immediately with dipping sauce.
- This recipe is best made the day ahead.
- Mozzarella sticks are best served immediately. Sauce can be made up to one day ahead. Keep stored in the fridge.
- Freezing is essential so that the cheese doesn’t melt before the crumb gets golden.
- Alternatively, heat 3 tablespoons of vegetables oil in a non-stick frying pan. Cook mozzarella sticks for 2-3 minutes or until crumb is just golden and crisp. Drain on paper towel and serve immediately.