Perfect Baked Beef Lasagne
Basic Bolognese Sauce (makes 7 cups/ 1¾ L)
Bechamel Sauce (makes about 5 cup or 1.25 L)
- To make the Bolognese, heat the oil in a large heavy based saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery & garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add mince & cook, stirring to break up lumps for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, passata & crumbled stock cubes & simmer, stirring occasionally for 45 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile, to make the bechamel sauce: combine the milk, onion, parsley stalks, peppercorns, cloves and bay leaves in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from the heat & set aside for 15 minutes to infuse. Strain the milk mixture through a fine sieve into a large just. Discard solids.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium- high heat until foaming. Add the flour & cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes or until mixture bubbles and begins to come away from the side of the pan. Add the parmesan and stir through until it melts.
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 160°C fan-forced. Brush a rectangular 3L (12 cup capacity) oven proof dish with oil. Spread a spoonful of Bolognese sauce on base. Layer lasagne sheets, bechamel sauce & beef sauce in 5-6 layers. Finishing with a layer of bechamel. Sprinkle with perfect bake cheese.
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes or until the cheese melts & is golden brown & the edges of lasagne bubbling. Remove from oven and set aside for 15 minutes to settle.
- Cut the lasagne into 8-10 portions to serve.