Perfect Basil Pesto
The fresh basil pesto adds bags of flavour to this vegetarian Parmesan Pesto Risotto.
- Make the pesto by placing the pine nuts, basil, garlic, 2/3 cup (70 g) parmesan and olive oil in a small food processor and whizz until finely chopped. Set aside.
- Place stock in a medium saucepan. Bring to the boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low. Simmer until required.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion, stirring, for 3-4 minutes or until softened. Add rice and stir to coat. Add 1 ladle stock to rice. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon, until liquid is absorbed. Repeat with remaining stock, 1 ladle at a time until all the stock has been absorbed and the rice is al dente or cooked to your liking.
- Add tomato, spinach and half the pesto to risotto. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until spinach has wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Serve topped with remaining parmesan and a little of the remaining pesto, if desired.
- Unused pesto will keep for 2-3 days in a sterilised jar in the fridge. Be sure to add an extra 1-2cm of olive oil to cover the surface which help prevent pesto from oxidising and going brown.