Bacon, Tomato & Spinach Risotto
- Place the stock and passata into a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer then remove from the heat and cover with a lid to keep hot.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy based saucepan over medium - low heat. Add the bacon and fry for 2 - 3 minutes or until it begins to turn golden. Add the garlic, onion and mushrooms and cook for a further 5 minutes or until the onion has softened. Add the rice and cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until rice is glassy looking.
- Increase the heat to medium, add the wine and simmer for 5 minutes or until the liquid has almost completely evaporated.
- Add 1 cup of tomato stock and cook, stirring, until the stock is absorbed. Continue adding tomato stock a cup at a time. When the stock is absorbed, add the next cupful. Continue adding stock and stirring until the rice is cooked (it should still be slightly firm to the bite). Once the rice is just cooked and all the stock has been absorbed, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the spinach, butter and Romano. Seasoning with salt and pepper, as desired. Cover the risotto with a lid and allow to sit for 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with an extra grating of Romano.
- Instead of spinach try using chopped kale or silverbeet for a delicious alternative.