- Place the stock into a medium saucepan and place over a medium heat. Bring to a simmer, and then remove the pan from the heat and cover with a lid to keep hot.
- Add the olive oil to a large, heavy based saucepan, and place over a medium low heat. Add the pancetta and cook for 5 minutes or until it turns golden. Add the leeks and mushrooms and continue to fry for a further 5 minutes or until the leeks have softened. Add the rice and stir to coat each grain of rice in the oil.
- Increase the heat to medium and add the wine. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the liquid has almost completely evaporated. Add a ladle of stock and stir until the rice absorbs all the liquid. Continue to add one ladle at a time, stirring constantly to ensure each ladle of stock is absorbed before adding another.
- Once the rice is just cooked and all the stock has been absorbed, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the butter and Romano cheese, and season with salt and pepper. Cover the risotto with a lid and allow to sit for 2 minutes.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkle of chives and an extra grating of Romano Cheese.
- Add some extra pieces of grilled crispy pancetta to garnish on top for added crunch!