Mexican Mac N’ Cheese
- Preheat oven to 220°C/200°C fan-forced.
- Cook macaroni in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Heat a large, deep 12 cup (3 litre) capacity heatproof/ovenproof skillet or pan over medium heat. Add oil, then chorizo and cook, stirring for 3 minutes until lightly golden. Remove and set aside.
- To make Mexican cheese sauce; melt butter in the same hot pan. Add combined flour, chipotle seasoning, onion and garlic powder. Cook, stirring for 1 minute. Remove pan from the heat.
- Gradually add milk, whisking constantly until all combined and smooth. Return to the heat and cook, whisking occasionally for 6 minutes until thick. Remove from the heat. Add chipotle hot sauce and 1 cup of Mexican cheese and stir until combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in chorizo and macaroni. Top with tomatoes and pile some of the corn chips on top. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese is golden.
- Sprinkle with pico de gallo (see tip) and coriander. Serve with remaining corn chips.
- To Make Pico De Gallo – Combine 4 vine ripe tomatoes (seeded and finely chopped), 1 fresh jalapeno (very finely chopped) ½ small red onion (very finely chopped), 2 tablespoons roughly chopped coriander, 1 lime, juiced, salt to taste.
- Add 2 cups shredded barbecue chicken to white sauce and macaroni mixture for a more substantial meal.
- This quantity of chipotle seasoning and hot sauce is for a mild version, add an extra teaspoon of chipotle seasoning and hot sauce for more chilli bite.
- Chipotle seasoning is available in the spice section of supermarkets and hot sauce from the Mexican section.
- Remove and discard corn chips from the top and store leftover mac n cheese in a container in the fridge for 2 days. Reheat in the microwave.