Ricotta Cannelloni Bolognese Bake
- Heat the oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Once hot, add the mince and use a wooden spoon to break up. Stir and cook for 5 minutes or until the mince has browned. Add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery and continue to fry for another 10 minutes or until the vegetables have softened. Add the tomatoes and wine (or water) and stir, breaking up tomatoes with the back of the wooden spoon. Bring the mixture to a simmer and then reduce the heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring regularly. Season to taste and set aside to cool slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 150°C fan-forced.
- To prepare the cannelloni, mix the ricotta with the lemon zest, and then season with salt and pepper. Carefully fill the cannelloni with the ricotta using a knife or piping bag.
- Spoon half of the bolognese into a large baking dish and then gently lay the filled cannelloni into the dish. Top the cannelloni with the remaining bolognese and then sprinkle over the Mozzarella. Place the dish into the oven and bake for 35 minutes or until golden and bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Use the leftover Basic Bolognese recipe (link to recipe) to cut down prep time.