Basic Bolognese Sauce (makes 7 cups or 1¾ L)
Bechamel Sauce (makes about 5 cups or 1.25L)
- To make the Bolognese, heat the oil in a large heavy based saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and garlic and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add mince and cook, stirring to break up lumps for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Add the tomato paste and stock or red wine to mince mixture and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until stock or wine reduces slightly.
- Add the diced tomato and passata and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile, to make the bechamel sauce, combine the milk, onion, parsley stalks, peppercorns, cloves and bay leaves in a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat and set aside for 15 minutes to infuse. Strain the milk mixture through a fine sieve into a large jug. Discard solids.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium-high heat until foaming. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 - 2 minutes or until mixture bubbles and begins to come away from the side of the pan. Remove from heat.
- Add the parmesan and stir through until it melts.
- Preheat oven to 180°C / 160°C fan-forced. Brush a rectangular 3 L (12 cup capacity) ovenproof dish with oil to lightly grease.
- Spread ¼ of the bechamel sauce over the base of the prepared dish. Arrange lasagne sheet over the sauce. Top with ⅓ of the Bolognese and ⅓ of the remaining bechamel. Continue layering with the remaining lasagne sheets, Bolognese and bechamel, finishing with a layer of bechamel. Sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until cheese melts, is golden brown, and the edges are bubbling. Remove from oven and set aside for at least 15 minutes to set.
- Cut the lasagne into 8 portions and serve with mixed salad leaves.
- The longer you allow the lasagne to rest, the easier it will be to cut and serve.